Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm such an expat. I'm going to Paris tomorrow for Thanksgiving. To eat frog legs and freedom fries.

Last year I spent Thanksgiving camping in Oman. We ate spaghetti and coffee from a camping stove on the rocks.

Two years ago I was in the middle of nowhere, in the forest in the eastern part of the Czech Republic. My friends and I took a bus through a snowstorm to a small town in Moravia for Thanksgiving dinner with this eccentric man from, of all places, Sandpoint, Idaho, who'd moved to the Czech Republic in the early 90s for cheap drugs and mushroom hunting. He was, randomly, a friend of my friends' parents. It was a fabulous dinner, though my friend's and my enjoyment was tempered considerably when we were, as the women in the party, forced/encouraged to do all of the dishes while the men folk smoked before we took the bus back to Prague. You can imagine how well I handled that.


Even though I haven't been in the United States recently for Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Its such a successful national holiday, premised on gratitude, food, and with no specific religious foundation so everyone feels included.

So why don't I stay in the United States? Two words: Sarah Palin. If you haven't yet seen her Turkey interview, well, you need to:

Happy Thanksgiving.

Oh, and if you've ever wondered why our Thanksgiving bird is called a Turkey the answer is more obvious than you might think.

No comments: